Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Stupid Spending Close to Home

So I sitting on my couch, minding my own business, watching the local news. A story comes on with the title, "Recession to Recovery," highlighting what "benefits" we are getting locally (central Texas) from our wonderful spending bill which should be signed by our president soon. The highlights:

* The San Marcos Airport (TX)will be receiving $2.85 Million. At least you could make the arguement the airport is used by planes from all over the country.

* LBJ Library (located in Austin) will be receiving $2 million. I don't know what to say here, other than I will try to find out what exactly this is for.

* Capital Metro, the regional mass transit authority, will be receiving $475,000. I'm sure Mr. Jones in Montana is happy to know his funds will be put to good use...in Texas.

After I calmed down, the following story appeared:

The Austin Public School system needs more funds for school lunches. It seems that since people have been losing their jobs, more are requesting the government pay for their meal. If more funding doesn't come in soon, the kids won't be able to eat. Am I the only one that thinks that school lunches are a convenience, and not a necessity? I guess that is because my mother used to make my lunch - to save money! Last time I checked, it was cheaper to buy a loaf of bread and deli meat and have the kid bring the lunch to school. Plus, it is probably healthier.

No comments:

Post a Comment